Monday, August 13, 2012

August 9,2012  Nabers Drive In


    Just the name Nabers sort of gives you an idea of what kind of place this is. The people are friendly, kind of like your neighbor. I was first introduced to this place in 1998 on my first trip out here, it wasn't the kind of memory that I would like to hold on to. Let me just say food and twisty roads don't mix, especially if you come from a place where the roads don't go anywhere but straight.
   Now over the years I have gotten to know some of the workers here. The main two was Dixie, who would always stop and tell us a joke or a short story. When she would leave us, we would always be laughing our heads off. That Dixie was full of jokes, I don't think she told the same joke twice. She had this way of keeping a straight face until she got to the punchline, then she would flash the biggest smile I have ever seen. Then there was Bayless, an older gentleman who was very pleasant. He would often stop and talk with Susan for a few brief moments. From what Susan told me through the years both of these fine people had been at Nabers for decades. The people working now are cordial but not as warm or down home like Dixie or Bayless.
   The food here is very good, where else but in the south could you get slaw on a hot dog or hamburger. I didn't know what to think when I first heard this ordered by Susan. Like I said earlier, I tried one of these burgers at the suggestion of Susan. It was weird at first, but the more I ate them, they started to grow on me. My favorite thing here is their chili slaw bun with mustard. They also serve bbq sandwiches,fried chicken, roasted corn, pies, ice cream, sundaes and a lot of other good food. If you ever find yourself in Bryson City, stop by for a sandwich, burger, hot dog, bbq, or some chicken. I believe that it will make your day just a little bit brighter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment